Date: Dec 9, 2011
Title: East of Best
- Roodkapje Rotterdam
- December 9th 2011 – January 21st 2012
The exhibition EAST of BEST is curated by KOLEKTIF and the director of ROODKAPJE Eric van Hartigh. The selection of works aims to offer a comprehensive view of the contemporary art scene in Bulgaria, showing some of the most active artists and presenting the current artistic discourse.
EAST of BEST shows 14 young Bulgarian contemporary artists. The selected works represent a second generation of artists after the changes in 1989. They are not entangled in the periphery's schizophrenic identity that formed the 90s to the 21st century artistic production. The "new" works are inquiries and interventions into the present referring to politics and economy; to culture, memory and identity; to the world of things and the world of images; to aesthetic and theoretic discourses. Moreover, the presented artists are actively involved in cultural and political debates within Bulgaria; most of them have been nominated for, or won local awards for contemporary art such as the renowned BAZA, Gaudenz B. Ruf and M-Tel awards.
Recently, the post-war dichotomies have begun shifting, since current developments put the entire world into a condition of uncertainties. Global initiatives like the Occupy movement grow quickly. Central to these protests are uncanny feelings about economic and political inequality, the destruction of social structures as well as the invisible influence of multinationals on everyone's lives.
Similar problems and expectations have encountered Bulgaria since the political changes in 1989 as the People's Republic of Bulgaria changed from communist state to parliamentary democracy and market economy. Even though Bulgaria became a member of the EU in 2007, corruption and organized crime are still frequent and unresolved problems. This situation has also impacted arts: The lack of state funding and institutional support hinders the establishment of the Bulgarian contemporary art as a recognized, distinct cultural space.
- Now, East and West and North and South slowly converge in the experience of transition. As today's issues and problems do not respect any limits and concern everyone, the artists presented in EAST of BEST leave national or ideological borders behind them. ROODKAPJE Gallery as a space that defines itself as a "cultural supermarket for fresh ideas", appears to be the right venue to pursue an undogmatic approach unburdened by canons and categories and reach young international public interested in contemporary art. Staged in Rotterdam, EAST of BEST aims at discovering parallels and building meaning within a global context.
- Participating artists (BG): Antonia Angelova, Rada Boukova, Stefania Batoeva, Velizar Dimchev, Stanimir Genov, Kaloyan Iliev-Kokimoto, Vikenti Komitski, Kiril Kuzmanov, Nikola Mihov, Mina Minov, Lora Rounevska, Samuil Stoyanov, Mariana Tantcheva, Stela Vasileva.
- Exhibition catalogue at issuu.com
- ROODKAPJE Gallery
- Meent 119-133
- Opening times:
- Wed-Fri 11:00-18:00h
- Sat-Sun 12:00-17:00h
- FREE entrance
- KOLEKTIF is an informal organization of like-minded individuals interested in contemporary art and design. We aim to broaden the exhibition opportunities for talented artsists and represent them on occasion of art fairs, gallery shows and site-specific projects. The focus essentially falls on the emerging artists. KOLEKTIF is a concept of Teodora Kotseva /art manager/, Nikoleta Tashkova /interior designer/ and Rossi Sotirova /artist/. For the current exhibition we invited Viktoria Draganova to contribute as an independent curator and author.
- ROODKAPJE ROTTTERDAM serves as a sanctuary for art, culture, music, parties and meetings in Rotterdam. The program of the gallery is topical, engaged, confrontational and approachable, in the broadest sense, and applicable to all disciplines. By working with short presentations ROODKAPJE ROTTTERDAM quickly switches between actuality and deeper themes elaborated. ROODKAPJE is helping towards new developments in art and is the only place in Rotterdam, where courage, timeliness and quality meet.
- Roodkapje ROTTTERDAM is supported by Gemeente Rotterdam Dienst Kunst en Cultuur, SNS Reaal Fonds, Gemeente Rotterdam deelgemeente Centrum, Stichting Bevordering van Volkskracht, Ontwikkelingsbedrijf Rotterdam, Quintus Belichting, Fritz-Kola, PUUR La Trappe & Copyhouse